Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Typical small town

This is a picture of how I picture Maycomb county, where the Finchs' live. In the book it describes Maycomb as kind of your typical small town. It says, " Maycomb was an old town, but it was a tired town when I first knew it. In rainy weather the streets turned to red slop; grass grew on the sidewalks, the courthouse sagged in the square. Somehow, it was hotter then: a black dog suffered on a summer's day; bony mules hitched to Hoover carts flicked flies in the sweltering shade of live oaks on the square" (p. 5). The courthouse pictured here is the one that they describe in the story and also the one where Tom Robinson's case takes place. I also see it as your typical small town because everyone knows everyone or is realted to them. It says, "Atticus was realted by blood or by marriage to nearly every family in the town" (p.5). When I think of Maycomb I just think of a typical small town.

2 comments:

Emily Osment said...

It does remind me of the typical town of Maycomb. The courthouse was the main focus in the picture which is kind of described as the main focus in the book, with its largeness and long pillars. It is a pretty good description. I think the picture suits the book to its fullest! Good Choice Erin!

Emily Osment said...

Sorry, I just realized I put Erin! I didn't mean too! I meant good choice homestar runner!