Thursday, March 29, 2007

Concluding...spoiler of some sort

Have you ever heard the phrase, "a good story ends where it begins"? I thought the ending of To Kill a Mockingbird ending brilliantly because it tied up all the loose ends. It ended with the introductory story of how Jem broke his arm. I know some were not fond of the ending because it didn't end with vidication in the literal sense, meaning Tom Robinson did not walk free, but I do believe jusitice was served. I believe Heck Tate's explanation for the simple reason that I want to believe that is what happened. A horrible man got what was coming to him at no individual's expense but his own. I admit that I did not really enjoy To Kill a Mocking Bird when we first began to read it for the fact that it's subject matter is not really an interest of mine, however, I realized how masterfully written it truely is and understand why it is so acclaimed. Yes, it dealt with racial issues in a time when the very phrase "racial issues" meant issue of what to do with all the "dirty negroes", but it also had a certain poetry in its words that leave one fasinated by one little girl's life in a 1930's southern town.

4 comments:

thegoldenone said...

I agree with the post, i liked the ending of the book. I liked the fact that bob ewell finally got what he deserved, and that he killed himself, not Jem. I was happy that Mr. Ewell killed himself because then Jem doesnt have to deal with the grief and all the other things involved in a murder, especially if it were an accident. Even though i liked the ending, i would have liked to find out what would happen with all the Ewell children.

Kelsey Pingleton said...

I liked the ending of the book too. I was sad for tom Robinson and his family but at least Mr.Ewell was taken care of. But once I thought about it... what happens to Mr. Ewell's family? He's got kids too. Who is going to provide for them now?

floridaprincess said...

I thought the ending was pretty good. I think it was sweet how Scout walked Boo back to his house. I don't think Jem killed Bob Ewell, but I think he might not have killed himself. I think maybe Boo killed him.

Chazz Michael Michaels said...

in my mind i think boo killed bob. im pretty sure he drop kicked him and then passed him out after putting him in a sleeper hold. after that i thinkboo fashioned a knife with his level 43 knife making skills and killed bob ewell right then and there.