Monday, March 26, 2007

Another Touching Moment?

When Dill is upset by the rude interrogation that Mr. Gilmer is giving to Tom, Mr. Raymond is there to calm him. Dill is crying and can't believe the way they talk to him just because he is a colored man. Raymond gives Dill a sip of the mystery beverage in his brown bag, and tells them about the struggles he lives through. What do you think about Mr. Raymond? Do you think he is a smart man, or a man who runs away from his self, by hiding the fact he just chooses to live the way he does? Are the children wrong to have so many preconceived notions about the man, and be skeptical of him?

3 comments:

Rebel Without an "H" said...

I think it was wrong to assume that Mr. Raymond was a bad man. With all the parents influence though I beleive they did know any better. I also beleive that he doesn't want any thing to do with the hatred that white people cause.

Barbie Girl said...

I think Mr. Raymond is afraid. He wants the community to think that he is always drunk, so he has no idea what he is doing, and I think this shows fear. He doesn't want to come right out and say, I know what I am doing and go ahead, make fun of me and call me bad names. He choses to run away from the world and himself and he does not want to be consider as a colored folk, even though he married one.

Anonymous said...

Han Solo this is a very good point to make...I think he is a smart man. It amazes me that Mr. Raymond is willing to do this, that he can recongnize this trait in the townspeople. I don't agree that this shows fear within Mr. Raymond. I think he thinks that it is a waste of time to try to pursuade people to see differently. I mean the pursuaded must be willing to understand Mr. Raymond's beliefs. (Or they must at least be willing to try to understand.)Take for instant, Mr Ewell. Even after Atticus had proven his "evidence" and testemony illogical, Mr. Ewell refused to acknowledge Tom Robinson as innocent. Mr. Ewell was still judgemental towards the African Amercans living in Maycomb.